Change is afoot at Pollen Brands and we would like to take a moment to pause and reflect on the positive changes we have woven into our business process to better serve our customers. Working with purpose driven entrepreneurs is the lifeblood of Pollen Brands. Purpose driven professionals think differently, work differently and are driven by something bigger than any project they execute. They are acutely aware of hurdles and maneuvering around hurdles is an art they practice every day. As customers, happy purpose-driven professionals order more and tell more people about your services. Here at Pollen Brands, we have discovered that the best way to keep good feelings flowing is to limit surprises and, if possible, exceed expectations by delivering an effortless process.
Since you are reading this article, we are going to start with some assumptions about you. Sorry, we know assumptions are dangerous, but it’s the only way forward.
- We assume that you are a purpose-driven entrepreneur or business professional.
- We assume that you care deeply about your organization’s purpose and that it is interwoven with your personal purpose.
- We assume that you work your ass off every day (and sometimes night) to ensure that your organization can fulfill its purpose as powerfully as possible.
- We assume that you are looking for partners who “get it” – meaning they will put up with your idiosyncrasies because they also understand and care about your purpose, and want to work with you to fulfill it.
So, given who you are and what you’re doing, what can you expect when buying a website?
- Expect to try doing it yourself at least once and to fail miserably, while learning a lot.
- Expect to hire the wrong person or company at least once and learn that “getting it” is about more than enthusiasm, but is actual understanding.
- Expect to lose some sleep, or some hair, or both.
Sounds pretty bleak, I know. Now that we’ve covered what you can expect, let’s talk about what you should expect, and what Pollen Brands strives to deliver.
You can expect to be told what to expect. Our detailed “What to Expect Guide” is a critical piece of paperwork that outlines the build and design process, approval steps along the way and generally what to expect during the course of a project. This serves as a roadmap for the journey ahead.
You can expect to be guided on understanding the purpose, goals and expectations of your website. A Web Strategy Plan is an important document, taking all considerations from the very purpose of the website to goals, measurements, platforms and beyond. A well executed Web Strategy Plan brings great clarity and direction to any website project and keeps the team on the same page. This document can be considered a business plan for a website.
You can expect to be told the technical details, even if you don’t understand all of them. An FRD is a Functional Requirements Document and is used by the development team as the blueprint for your website. The FRD is built from the web strategy plan and designed to be more technical in nature.
You can expect a reasonable and always updated timeline. The timeline outlines the current stages in which each department will produce deliverables for review. The timeline is meant to be fluid and will change depending on deadlines and milestones being met and approvals being given.
You can expect adherence to business standards (customer bill of rights). Customers have rights and can expect a smoother process when they are understood.
- You have the right to pay a fair price for all web work.
- You have the right to receive a valid detailed estimate for every work request you make.
- You have the right to all source files, code, and project notes when work requests are completed.
- You have the right to understand the competence and qualifications of your Web Professional in detail.
- You have the right to proper advice (including both pros and cons) and detailed explanations of every work request you make.
- You have the right to always be told the truth.
- You have the right to be treated with respect.
- You have the right to confidentiality and discretion from your Web Professional and account representative.
- You have the right to inspect your work and to have any errors corrected free of charge.
A Deeper Understanding
Buying a website as a purpose driven professional can be demanding, but it’s because you care so much. It’s imperative that you find digital professionals who also care, and are willing to develop a deeper understanding of your goals. When you’re purpose driven, it’s that much more important to have a predicable process that really works, so that you and your team can focus on the most meaningful work at hand.